Saturday, May 2, 2009

A trip down memory lane due to the pull of The Pit Crew and all that it means to each and every graduate who was mentored by Butch Fortunato and Clary

Everything magical seemed to happen to me when I went to Montclair High School in the autumn of my teen-age life. l

When you are in tenth grade you are beginning your beguine so to speak; you are not a cheerleader, dancer, or a twirler but you could be in the band if you played an instrument, I did not.

So, to my utter surprise, one day a really lovely senior by the name of Pat Tupper, asked me if I would be the Montclair Bull Dog Mascot on the next Saturday home game. A bit in awe of this great opportunity as I had to not tell a soul and was sworn to secrecy after saying "yes" - I could not sleep and could barely do homework as I was told to cavort up and down the stands, do not be afraid to go up behind any of the football players sitting on the bench, cheer with the cheerleaders and march with the band. All of this excitement without saying I was "Peggy Rutan."

With my costume/uniform smuggled to me the night before, Saturday arrived in all that wonder of a magnificent fall day when clouds refused to smile and an azure blue sky sent down gamma rays of positive energy to Clary Anderson and Butch Fortunato's warriors with Aubrey Lewis: NUMBER 17 leading the players onto Woodman Field, carrying their helmets, walking a cadence fitting a funeral while the other team stormed onto the field looking like losers before the game even began.

1 comment:

  1. Dear BebopAuthor,

    Your Blog is beautiful and graced with the wonderful photograph of you and the young movie star (who reminds me so much of a Roman
    or Greek god/ruler statue which I saw recently in a French museum)........................

    I have read all of your blogs to date...they are of the same outstanding quality writing as your prize winning book, "Death Of A Bebop Wife"......and you have captured, for all of us, sweet memories of our long ago past...in high school...for your golden words are a key to unlock our fresh emotions of youth...and bring back those happy days and nights when we were innocent...and faced the future with the confidence that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!.........Now, a half century later (for me and others of similar vintage) your blogs down cherished memory lanes serve
    to rekindle (for me at least) like feelings...and I am innocent again......and full of hope for the future of me...and, perhaps, our world as well! Thank you, for sharing this optimism...AND PLEASE KEEP ON WRITING YOUR MOST EXCEPTIONAL AND ORIGINAL
    BEBOPAUTHOR LITERATURE OF THE HIGHEST SUPERIOR LEVEL!!!!!

    Your True And Timeless Friend,
    Robert (Dr. Bob) Morrissey

    ReplyDelete